Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

railway architecture

01 April 2014

1925 – Engine Roundhouse, Portadown, Co. Armagh

Architect: F.A. Champion One of two roundhouses to the same design on the Great Northern Railway system – the other at Clones still stands today. Built in 1925 out of reinforced concrete, its...

15 November 2013

1935 – Department of Railways, 17 York St., Sydney, Australia

Architect: Budden & Mackey Constructed as the administrative home of the New South Wales State Railways. The new headquarters, on York Street above the recently completed Wynyard Station, facing Wynyard Square, opened in...

12 June 2013

1860 – Signal Box, Knockcroghery, Co. Roscommon

Knockcroghery railway station opened on 13 February 1860 and closed on 17 June 1963.

23 April 2013

1895 – Railway Station, Carlisle Pier, Dun Laoghaire

Recently demolished, this Victorian railwayshed lay largely hidden by a 1950s passenger terminal. Originally trains met the ferries coming in from the UK via a railway spur from the main line. When the...

23 April 2012

1859 – Water-house and tank, Sallins, Co. Kildare

Architect: Fine brick water-house with cast-iron tank above for the provision of water to railway engines in the steam era.

22 November 2011

1837 – Proposed Railway Colonnade, Dublin

Architect: Charles Vignoles Originally published as “Outline Plan of Dublin exhibiting the course of the proposed Railway Colonnade Through the City for connecting the General Terminus of the Railways from the South and...

29 June 2011

1890 – Johnston Terminal, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: The Johnston Terminal is the largest of the buildings in the Forks and contains some commercial space as well as retail. It was formerly the National Cartage Building, in use as a...

23 April 2011

1851 – Chetwynd Viaduct, Co. Cork

Architect: Charles Nixon Designed by Charles Nixon (a former pupil of I.K. Brunel) and built between 1849 and 1851 by Fox, Henderson and Co, which also built the Crystal Palace in London. The...

11 August 2010

1846 – Engine Shed, Irish Rail Works, Inchicore, Dublin

Architect: Sancton Wood Inchicore Works is the headquarters for Mechanical Engineering and Rolling Stock maintenance in Irish Rail. Established in 1846, it is the largest engineering complex of its kind in Ireland with...

Pages:123Next »