Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

railway architecture

04 May 2010

1884 – Former London and North Western Hotel, North Wall Quay, Dublin

In 1861 the London and North Western Railway Company which had been operating a steam packet service across the Irish Sea, moved its Irish terminus from Kingstown (DĂșn Laoghaire) to North Wall Quay....

04 May 2010

1878 – Point Depot, North Wall Quay, Dublin

Built in 1878 as a rail terminus for the Midland and Great Western Railway Company, its has been redeveloped as an exhibition and concert venue. These photographs show it prior to its extensive...

28 January 2010

1855 – Railway Station, Howth, Co. Dublin

A fine little station built at the end of the branch line from Howth Junction on the main Dublin – Belfast route. The station is elevated above road level and accessed by a...

28 January 2010

1852 – Railway Station, Skerries, Co. Dublin

Railway stations on this line to Belfast (Dublin Connolly, Malahide, Drogheda, Dundalk) are of a high quality with good quality ironwork and brick buildings. Skerries is no different, although it has been much...

28 January 2010

1851 – Station Master House, Malahide, Co. Dublin

Architect: George Papworth A fine little house sited beside the railway station and built for the Station Master. Similar to others built for the Great Northern Railway in other locations.

21 January 2010

1860 – Station Master’s House, Balbriggan, Co. Dublin

A fine little house sited beside the railway station and built for the Station Master. Similar to other station master’s houses on this line, notably Malahide and Skerries. Photographic Copyright 2006 Gerry Byrne

29 September 2009

1926 – Former Great Northern Railway Engine Shed, Clones, Co. Monaghan

Architect: F.A. Champion Legend has it, that a member of the local Madden family who were major shareholders in the Great Northern Railway visited Milan. While there, he visited a new railway engine...

02 September 2009

1884 – Proposed Salterhebble Viaduct, Halifax, Yorkshire

Architect: W. Shelford

09 June 2009

1923 – Bangor Signalbox, Wales

The LNWR built signal box dates from 1923 and was formerly Bangor No.2 but is now the sole box in the town on the North Wales Coast mainline.