Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

railway stations

04 May 2010

1861 – Former Railway Station, North Wall Quay, Dublin

In 1861 the London and North Western Railway Company, which had been operating a steam packet service across the Irish Sea, moved its Irish terminus from Dun Laoghaire to North Wall Quay. The...

22 April 2010

1905 – Former Canadian Pacific Station, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architects: E. & W.S. Maxwell This was the fourth depot built by the Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR) from the construction of the main line through the Manitoba capital in the early 1880’s. Construction...

21 April 2010

Clongriffin Station by Iarnród Éireann Architects

Iarnród Éireann’s newest station, the new Clongriffin DART Station, was officially opened this week. Designed by Iarnród Éireann Architects, Clongriffin is the 145th station on Iarnród Éireann’s network and is the first new...

09 April 2010

1850 – Broadstone Railway Station, Constitution Hill, Dublin

Architect: John Skipton Mulvany Broadstone harbour’s location was chosen for its proximity to the markets and the law courts. Bolton Street was the preferred site, but high land prices and objections from local...

02 February 2010

1854 – Railway Station, Dundrum, Co. Dublin

Architect: William Dargan The original Dundrum station built by William Dargan in 1854 behind the modern Luas halt. This was the station closest to Dargan’s home at Mount Annville and he was a...

02 February 2010

1846 – Heuston Station, Dublin

Architect: Sancton Wood / Sir John MacNeill Formerly Kingsbridge Station and another of Dublin’s four railway termini, Heuston Station was commissioned in 1846 from Sancton Wood, an English architect. Easily the most impressive...

29 January 2010

1882 – Hackesche Markt, Berlin

Architect: Johannes Vollmer A beautifully restored railway station on the S-Bahn line, Hackesche Markt has an ornate brick and ceramic exterior. The interior has decorative polychromatic brickwork and a single span curving roof.

29 January 2010

1878 – Bahnhof Alexanderplatz, Berlin

Architect: Johann Eduard Jacobsthal Horribly clad on the exterior, this station on the S-Bahn still has its original 19th century heart. Originally designed by Johann Eduard Jacobsthal, it was reconstructed by Hans Joachim...

29 January 2010

1878 – Bahnhof Friedrichstrasse, Berlin

Architect: Johannes Vollmer The original station which opened in 1878 was designed by Johannes Vollmer. However due to the need for expansion over the years, very little of his work is now visible....