Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

railway stations

01 April 2014

1880 – Railway Station, Coalisland, Co. Tyrone

Coalisland railway station closed in the late 1950s and is now largely gone.

27 March 2014

1875 – Waterside Railway Station, Derry

Architect: John Lanyon The Belfast & Northern Counties Railway commissioned an impressive dressed sandstone structure with Italianate tower, which opened in 1875. In addition to the usual train shed, waiting, booking and refreshment...

27 March 2014

1870 – Foyle Road Railway Station, Derry

Architect: Turner & Williamson Italianate railway terminus for the Great Northern Railway Company by Turner & Williamson. This was one of two stations in Derry, the other being the Waterside Station of the...

13 March 2014

1860 – Penrose Quay Railway Station, Cork

Architect: Sir John Benson The original railway terminus for the Great Southern and Western Railway. Approached from Penrose’s Quay, and superceded by a new adjacent station in 1893 approached from Glenmire Road. The...

12 February 2014

1896 – St. Enoch Subway Station, Glasgow

Architect:James Miller The Subway’s most distinctive building – an ornate, Jacobean, late Victorian red sandstone structure; designed by James Miller in 1896. Originally housed both a booking office and the headquarters of the...

30 January 2014

1892 – Queen’s Quay Railway Station, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Originally opened by the Belfast & County Down Railway in 1848, the station at Queen’s Quay was rebuilt in 1910-14, extending the original building on both sides. The Belfast Holywood & Bangor Railway...

29 January 2014

1848 – York Road Station, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Charles Lanyon / Berkeley Deane Wise Built by the Belfast & Ballymena Railway to a design by Sir Charles Lanyon, York Road station opened in 1848. Iron roof over the plaforms designed...

24 January 2014

1907 – Terminal Station, Hamilton, Ontario

Architect: Charles Mills The Terminal building exterior was a mixture of masonry and terra cotta brick. The first story of the building was done in Indiana blue limestone. One feature that was originally...

20 January 2014

1847 – Railway Station, Blanchardstown, Co. Dublin

Architect: John Skipton Mulvany Demolished railway station constructed for the Midland Great Western Railway Company. Similar in design to station at Lucan North. Closed in 1934 and the site cleared by the constructed...