Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

railway stations

02 April 2014

1897 – Railway Station, Lisburn, Co. Antrim

Architect: William H. Mills Rebuilt by Chief Engineer of the GNR William Hemingway Mills in 1897 to replace the earlier Ulster Railway building of 1839. Designed in his trademark polychromic brickwork, now emblematic...

02 April 2014

1897 – Railway Station, Lurgan, Co. Armagh

Architect: William H. Mills Originally opened in 1845 for the Ulster Railway Company, but rebuilt in the Great Northern Railway house-style in the late 1890s. William H. Mills was the Chief engineer of...

01 April 2014

1863 – Railway Station, Stranorlar, Co. Donegal

Architect: John C. Bower The station opened on 3 September 1863 on the Finn Valley Railway line from Glenties to Stranorlar. Stranorlar became the headquarters of the successor company, the Donegal Railway Company...

01 April 2014

1846 – Railway Station, Newbridge, Co. Kildare

Newbridge Railway Station was opened in 1846 by the Great Southern and Western Railway line reached the town. Newbridge was then an important military centre, having its own cavalry barracks and being less...

01 April 2014

1880 – Railway Station, Coalisland, Co. Tyrone

Coalisland railway station closed in the late 1950s and is now largely gone.

27 March 2014

1875 – Waterside Railway Station, Derry

Architect: John Lanyon The Belfast & Northern Counties Railway commissioned an impressive dressed sandstone structure with Italianate tower, which opened in 1875. In addition to the usual train shed, waiting, booking and refreshment...

27 March 2014

1870 – Foyle Road Railway Station, Derry

Architect: Turner & Williamson Italianate railway terminus for the Great Northern Railway Company by Turner & Williamson. This was one of two stations in Derry, the other being the Waterside Station of the...

13 March 2014

1860 – Penrose Quay Railway Station, Cork

Architect: Sir John Benson The original railway terminus for the Great Southern and Western Railway. Approached from Penrose’s Quay, and superceded by a new adjacent station in 1893 approached from Glenmire Road. The...

12 February 2014

1896 – St. Enoch Subway Station, Glasgow

Architect:James Miller The Subway’s most distinctive building – an ornate, Jacobean, late Victorian red sandstone structure; designed by James Miller in 1896. Originally housed both a booking office and the headquarters of the...