Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Sandymount

28 February 2012

1884 – Merrion Pier and Baths, Dublin

Architect: All that remains is a portion of the concrete basin on the strand of the former public baths. The Dublin Evening Mail described the baths on their opening as “120 feet by...

01 February 2010

1905 – Canon O’Hanlon Memorial National School, Sandymount, Dublin

When Canon O’Hanlon died in 1905 after 25 years as Parish priest, three new rooms were built and the school was re-named the Canon O’Hanlon Memorial School. These rooms now form the school...

01 February 2010

1858 – Church of Our Lady, Star of the Sea, Sandymount, Dublin

Architects: J.J. McCarthy / W.H. Beardwood The main facade with its three gables demonstrates the interior layout; the aisles and nave are the same width. Designed by J.J. McCarthy in 1851-58, it was...

01 February 2010

1900 – Whooley’s Pharmacy, Sandymount, Dublin

Originally built as a Chandler’s shop, the Art Nouveau facade was added around 1900 to add light to the interior. Has since been adapted to a restaurant and now a chemist’s shop.

01 February 2010

1864 – Christchurch Methodist Church, Sandymount, Dublin

Architect: Alfred G. Jones Pretty little church building in its own extensive grounds. The church is a simple Gothic Revival design with a decorative rose window in the west fa├žade. The porch was...

01 February 2010

1850 – St John’s Church of Ireland, Sandymount, Dublin

Architect: Benjamin Ferrey Like St Bartholemew’s in Ballsbridge, this was commissioned by Sidney Herbert after whom nearby Sidney Parade is named. The architect here was the biographer of Pugin – Benjamin Ferrey. The...

19 July 2008

1973 – Merrion Hall, Sandymount, Dublin

Architect: Stephenson Gibney & Associates The Merrion Hall office building provided accommodation for Irish Shipping Limited, Coras Trachtala (The Irish Export Board) and The Irish Goods Council. The site, on Strand Road, Sandymount,...