Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

schools

29 April 2014

1862 – St. Joseph’s School & Convent, Cavan

Architect: John Ryan The Poor Clares founded a convent in Cavan in 1861 in a large premises on Main Street. As a closed contemplative order the nuns themselves were never seen by the...

21 April 2014

1737 – Royal & Prior School, Raphoe, Co. Donegal

In 1608, King Charles I granted a charter which founded the Royal Schools across Ulster. By 1618, As part of this charter, a Royal School was established in Donegal town, which relocated to...

11 April 2014

1881 – St. Andrew’s Parochial Schools, Dublin

Architect: William Kaye-Parry “These schools are proposed to be erected at the rere of St. Andrew’s Church, St. Andrew-street. Accommodation is provided for 200 children, with master’s residence and board-room, also the several...

01 April 2014

1870 – Gatelodge and School, Dalkey, Co. Dublin

Architect: E.H. Carson Combined gate-house and school building for St. Patrick’s Church of Ireland in Dalkey. Still standing today although missing the top of the small tower. A parishioner Charles Leslie presented the...

26 March 2014

1867 – Schools, Carlow, Co. Carlow

Architect: John McCurdy Strongly reminiscent of the work of Deane and Woodward of a decade before. “With this number we give an illustration of schools at present being erect at Carlow. They are...

05 March 2014

1886 – Downshire Schools, Hillsborough, Co. Down

Architect: William Batt Funded by the Marquess of Downshire. No longer in use as a school, converted into apartments. Published in The Irish Builder, November 15 1886.

27 January 2014

1898 – Wesleyan Church and School, Nunhead, London

Architect: Robert Clamp “This block of buildings has recently been erected in the Ivydale-road, Nunhead (a district known as Waverley Park), for the Methodist New Connexion. The site was given by the adjoining...

18 January 2014

1898 – Chapel, Mill Hill School, London

Architect: Basil Champneys “Ox Wednesday next, the 22nd inst., this important and interesting addition to the buildings of Mill Hill School is to be opened. The architect is Mr. Basil Champneys. The drawings...

14 January 2014

1906 – Normal School, Hamilton, Ontario

Architect: Frank R. Heakes Almost identical to other Normal Schools constructed in Stratford, and North Bay, Ontario at the same time. The Normal Schools, renamed Teachers’ Colleges in 1953, were designed to train...