Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

schools

09 April 2013

1865 – Model Schools, Anglesea Street, Cork

Architect: James H. Owen Italianate school with campanile, finished externally in red and black brick with Portland stone dressings. Used as a school until the early 1990s, and now in use as a...

02 April 2013

1873 – School, Euston Street, Greenore, Co. Louth

Built in 1873 to provide educational facilities for the children of the workers at the large port and railway facilities. The village of Greenore, at the mouth of Carlingford Lough, grew up in...

31 March 2013

1869 – Finsbury District Schools, London

Architect: Fred Peck The Finsbury School District, one of several such bodies set up to provide accommodation for pauper children away from the workhouse, briefly existed in 1868-9. It never got as far...

24 March 2013

1871 – College for Congregational Ministers Daughters, Gravesend, Kent

Architect: E.C. Robins Later known as Milton Mount College For Girls in Gravesend. The College was founded in 1871 by the Rev. William Guest, pastor of the Congregational chapel at Gravesend, as a...

23 March 2013

1879 – Wesley College, St. Stephen’s Green, Dublin

Architect: Alfred G. Jones Wesley College was founded in 1845 on St. Stephen’s Green, Dublin as a Methodist Foundation but welcomes students of all faiths. It was originally proposed that to build a...

21 March 2013

1861 – St. George’s School, Newcastle-under-lyme, Staffordshire

Architect: James Trubshaw From The Building News: “THIS school, of which we give an illustration, was recently erected to meet the urgent educational wants of an outlying populous locality in one of the...

17 March 2013

1907 – Gaelscoil, Bridge St., Limerick, Co. Limerick

Architect: Joseph P. O’Malley Former Limerick city courthouse that was extended to designs by Joseph P. O’Malley in 1907 by adding a second floor to provide four new classrooms. The original building of...

11 March 2013

1867 – Albert Memorial Industrial Schools, Birkenhead, Cheshire

Architect: David Walker In 1864 Sir William Jackson donated land for the building of the Birkenhead industrial school. The school was to stand in the centre of the poorest area of Birkenhead –...

09 March 2013

1832 – Old School, Borris, Co. Carlow

Architect: Eccentric design with unusual tower, with Tudor Revival touches for a catholic school. The Old School closed in 1980 and has been used by different community groups since. The building is inscribed...