Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

schools

11 March 2013

1867 – Albert Memorial Industrial Schools, Birkenhead, Cheshire

Architect: David Walker In 1864 Sir William Jackson donated land for the building of the Birkenhead industrial school. The school was to stand in the centre of the poorest area of Birkenhead –...

09 March 2013

1832 – Old School, Borris, Co. Carlow

Architect: Eccentric design with unusual tower, with Tudor Revival touches for a catholic school. The Old School closed in 1980 and has been used by different community groups since. The building is inscribed...

09 March 2013

1868 – Middle Class College, Bedford, Bedfordshire

Architect: Frederick Peck From The Building News: “THIS building is now being erected at Bedford. The college is arranged to accomodate 300 boys. It is a red brick building, with (stone dressings to...

06 March 2013

1868 – Schools, Stogursey, Somerset

Architect: John Norton Still in use today as a Church of England Primary School. From The Building News, February 21 1868: “THESE handsome schools have been recently erected at Stogursey, or Stoke-courcy, in...

04 March 2013

1903 – St. Paul’s School, Herbert Rd., Bray, Co. Wicklow

Architect: J.F. Fuller School for the Church of Ireland, now demolished and a surface carpark.

01 March 2013

1872 – Clergy House & Schools, St. Peter’s, Folkestone, Kent

Architect: S. Slingsby Stallwood The consecration of the new St. Peter’s as a chapel-of-ease took place of 30 July 1868 by the archbishop of Canterbury. St Peter’s became a separate parish the same...

01 March 2013

1860 – Drapers School, Tottenham High Cross, London

Architect: Herbert Williams A private school existed on this site from around 1833, in 1858, this school was taken over by the Worshipful Company of Drapers. Substantially altered and enlarged, it functioned as...

27 February 2013

1845 – Leamy House, Upper Hartstonge St., Limerick, Co. Limerick

Architect: William Atkins Selected after an architectural competition, Atkins’s designs for the former Leamy School are in a Tudor Revival style with a central crenellated tower.

25 February 2013

1870 – Sacred Heart Church & School, Holloway, London

Architect: F.H. Pownall The foundation stone of the church was laid on 5 August 1869, with the finished building costing £7,000, it was opened on 18 August 1870. The church from the outside,...