Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

schools

19 December 2012

1870s – Loreto Convent, Balbriggan, Co. Dublin

Although a convent and school still exists on this site, the buildings illustrated are either gone or unrecognisable. The school was started in 1857 when they took over the house with curved bays...

19 December 2012

1843 – Loreto Abbey, Dalkey, Co. Dublin

Founded in 1841 by Frances Teresa Ball (1794-1861), a native of Dublin. Her first foundation was at Rathfarnham and was called Loreto Abbey, from which title the sisters became known as Loreto sisters....

28 November 2012

1865 – Trinity Church and School, Coalisland, Co. Tyrone

Architect: Welland & Gillespie Church for the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, presumed by Welland & Gillespie, and consecrated in 1861. Exterior is brown basalt with sandstone trimming. The adjoining school is now demolished.

23 November 2012

1826 – St. Peter’s Chapel & Free School, Phibsborough, Dublin

An early description of the church and school which opened in 1826: ‘St. Peter’s chapel stands at the divergence of the New Cabra Avenue, and the beautiful and fashionable ride to Phoenix Park,...

27 August 2012

1883 – Wood Street Schools, Woolwich, London

Architect: E.R. Robson Published in The Building News, August 10th 1883. Closed in 1956.

27 August 2012

1875 – St. Saviours School, Hoxton, London

Architect: James Brooks Front Perspective view including ground & 1st floor plan published in The Building News, April 19th 1875.

18 August 2012

1903 – Congregational Church & School, Jarvis Brook, Sussex

Architect: W.C.F. Gillam Perspective view published in The Building News, November 27th 1903.

11 August 2012

1871 – Science Schools, South Kensington Museum, London

Architect: Major-General Henry Y.D. Scott Designed for the Science & Art Department, elevation, and details published in The Building News, March 10th 1876. As Director of New Buildings at the South Kensington Museum...

03 August 2012

1876 – Odiham Endowed Grammar School, Hampshire

Architect: Edmund Woodthorpe The school was setup in the 1870s, following the Endowed Schools Act of 1869. Pupils were now required to pay fees to attend the school and a new building was...