Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

schools

11 August 2012

1871 – Science Schools, South Kensington Museum, London

Architect: Major-General Henry Y.D. Scott Designed for the Science & Art Department, elevation, and details published in The Building News, March 10th 1876. As Director of New Buildings at the South Kensington Museum...

03 August 2012

1876 – Odiham Endowed Grammar School, Hampshire

Architect: Edmund Woodthorpe The school was setup in the 1870s, following the Endowed Schools Act of 1869. Pupils were now required to pay fees to attend the school and a new building was...

31 July 2012

1903 – Carlton School, Graham Avenue, Winnipeg

Architect: J.B. Mitchell Built to replace the earlier South Central Schools designed by Barber & Barber. Only used for twentyseven years before it was bought by Eatons, demolished for expansion of a parking...

23 July 2012

1906 – Central Normal School, William St., Winnipeg

Architect: Samuel Hooper The former Central Normal School served as the headquarters for teacher training for more than forty years, and was the key institution for formulating educational philosophy and curriculum. Designed by...

23 July 2012

1912 – Former St. Joseph’s Academy, St. Boniface, Winnipeg

Architect: Joseph-Azarie Sénécal Former convent and school run by the Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary. Operated as a school for girls until the late 1960s. In 1936, it was...

23 July 2012

1906 – École Provencher, St. Boniface, Winnipeg

In 1906, the School Board constructed a school at the site where École Provencher stands today. It was a three-storey brick and limestone building, featuring an entry tower surmounted with an elegant ogee...

21 July 2012

1903 – Alexandra School, Edmonton Street, Winnipeg

Architect: J.B. Mitchell Designed by local architect J.B. Mitchell who was responsible for many of the best school designs in Winnipeg. Originally a two-storey building, the third floor was added when enrolment justified...

21 July 2012

1903 – St. Mary’s Academy, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Samuel Hooper The third location of the school, as it moved to its present location in 1903. At that time, the school sat out on the prairie in an undeveloped area. However,...

11 July 2012

1898 – Victoria School, Winnipeg

In 1898, Central School No.1 was replaced by a new structure, built at a cost of $17,000, that could accommodate up to 500 students with a staff of 12 teachers. At that time,...