Sir William Robinson (1645-1712)

William Robinson (1645-1712) was the Surveyor General since 1670 when his appointment was made under the Viceroy Lord Berkeley. No evidence of Robinson exists before 1670 and it has been suggested that he came from England in succession to the previous Viceroy Lord Ormond’s architect Captain John Morton who died in 1669. His complete output runs to 19 items and several more attributed to him including the Royal Hospital Kilmainham, Marshe’s Library, St Mary’s Church, and some work at Dublin Castle.