Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Sligo

26 September 2014

1818 – Former Prison, Sligo, Co. Sligo

Designed to hold 200 inmates in a polygon-shaped building, with six-bay two-storey facets and six-bay three-storey terminal block to south. The Governor’s residence situated in the centre of the prison. Construction of the...

20 November 2013

1875 – Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception, John St., Sligo

Architect: George Goldie A massive exercise in a Norman style by English architect George Goldie. With a nave of 275 feet and a massive 200ft tower, it’s Goldie’s most dramatic work in Ireland....

09 July 2011

1848 – Dominican Friary, Sligo, Co. Sligo

Architect: John Benson / G.C. Ashlin Church constructed between 1845-48 replacing an earlier church of 1763. A tower was added several years later. G.C. Ashlin added chancel decoration including mosaics and altar railing...

31 December 2009

1901 – Sligo Post Office, Co. Sligo

Architect: Board of Works A fine post office with shallow, bow-fronted end bays with beautiful banded brick. Above the pedimented doorway inscriptions read ‘ Post Office’ and E 1901 R’. The handsome red...

31 December 2009

1895 – Masonic Hall, Sligo, Co. Sligo

Architect: Henry Seaver Designed by Belfast architect Henry Seaver, this distinctive brick Arts and Crafts building, sited on rising land, is a prominent local landmark with a tower with a richly moulded terracotta...

31 December 2009

2000 – Model Arts and Niland Gallery, Sligo, Co. Sligo

Architects: James H. Owen / McCullough Mulvin The original building was designed by James Owen of the Board of Works to provide education to all demoninations between 1857-63. Part residence and school, the...

30 December 2009

1895 – Gillooly Memorial Hall, Sligo, Co. Sligo

Architect: P.J. Kilgallen Built to commemorate the deceased Bishop Gillooly who was a campaigner against alcohol. The interior is classic victorian – polished mahogany and leaded glass. The exterior is grim and foreboding,...

30 December 2009

1878 – Courthouse, Sligo, Co. Sligo

Architect: Rawson Carroll Most large Irish towns have a fine classical courthouse (Carlow, Monaghan, Dundalk), but Sligo’s is a fine Gothic Revival ediface. The design is dominated by the octagonal tower which has...

30 December 2009

1877 – Allied Irish Bank, Sligo, Co. Sligo

Architect: T.M. Deane Originally the Provincial Bank, this branch of AIB is finished with elaborately carved Mountcharles sandstone. Well proportioned, almost square in elevation, the style is vaguely Elizabethan in inspiration.

Pages:12Next »