Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

South Mall Cork

21 March 2013

1761 – Statue of George II, South Mall, Cork

Architect: John Van Nost the Younger Equestrian statue of George II, erected 7 July and unveiled 16 Jul 1761. Originally was situated in the centre of Tuckey’s Bridge which connected Tuckey’s Quay, now...

06 November 2009

1770c – No. 74 South Mall, Cork

Like many of the large former residences in the area, this fine house boasts an above ground basement. This basement was used for trade, as many of the owners of these houses were...

06 November 2009

1860 – The Assembly Rooms, South Mall, Cork

Architect Richard Brash & Robert Walker ‘The Assembly Rooms’, designed by Richard Rolt Brash c. 1860, originally known as ‘Protestant Hall’ hosting well know speakers and opera companies of the time. In 1911...

06 November 2009

1865 – Thomas Crosbie Holdings, 97 South Mall, Cork

Architect: William G. Murray One of the most magnificent buildings in Cork, the Italianate plazzo built for the ‘Provincial Bank of Ireland’, was designed by W.G. Murray. A substantial and well-maintained building, it...

06 November 2009

1871 – 72 South Mall, Cork

Architect: Richard Brash End-of-terrace three-bay four-storey Georgian house from around 1770; that was remodelled and refronted in an Italian-Romanesque style in the early 1870s, by Cork Gas Consumers. It retains a fine stairs...

06 November 2009

1912 – AIB, South Mall, Cork

Architect: Henry H. Hill Distinctive and imposing bank building on a prominent site, in the main financial district of Cork. Built for the Munster and Leinster Bank, now a branch of Allied Irish...

06 November 2009

1831 – 80 South Mall, Cork

Architect: James Pain End-of-terrace seven-bay three-storey with attic premises in Victorian Italianate style, c. 1825; built as The County Club; only facade of original building remains; premises reconstructed, c. 1975. Unfortunately the originally...

06 November 2009

1855 – National Irish Bank, 71 South Mall, Cork

Architect: William Caldbeck Good quality bank branch on South Mall. Much closer in size to bank branches in Irish country towns rather than other banks along the mall. Of five bays, the two...