Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Sussex

25 November 2013

1919 – Additions to farmhouse, Petworth, Sussex

Architect: Maurice B. Adams From The Building News, December 5 1919: “This Southdown stucco-faced and partly timber-framed house stands high and commands an extensive view of the Sussex Weald looking towards Horsham, and...

16 March 2013

1868 – Leyes Wood, Sussex

Architect: Richard Norman Shaw Designed as a mansion for James W. Temple. A fantastic victorian confection of brick, gables and chimneys, displaying a knowledge of tradition building forms, it is designed as a...

16 March 2013

1872 – Seacox Heath, Ticehurst, Sussex

Architect: Slater & Carpenter Built in 1871. Architects Carpenter and Slater. Tall mansion in the style of a French chateau. Three storeys and attic. Seven windows. Ashlar. Slate roof with three steep French...

16 March 2013

1869 – Brighton County Court, Sussex

Architect: T.C. Sorby Not quite built as illustrated in The Building News, the former County Court of Sussex still stands today in Church St., Brighton. From The Building News, February 21, 1869: “THE...

01 March 2013

1877 – Brighton School of Art & Science, Sussex

Architect: J.G. Gibbins In January 1875, a provisional contract for the erection of the new School of Art was approved and, in the following months, Alexander Fisher advised the Building Committee about the...

16 February 2013

1886 – “Ravenhurst”, Graffham, Petworth, Sussex

Architect: Halsey Ricardo Perspective View & Ground Plan published in The Building News, December 3rd 1886.

12 November 2012

1899 – Design for Union Church, Queen Square, Brighton, Sussex

Architect: John W. Simpson Unbuilt design for Union Congregational Church. Their existing Gothic church, built in 1854 by James & Brown, was extended by Paulton in 1867. After merging congregations in 1897, it...

12 November 2012

1887 – Design for Clock Tower, Brighton, Sussex

Architect: George Webb Unbuilt design published in The Architect, December 16th 1887.

04 September 2012

1868 – St. Michael’s Orphanage for Girls, Bletchingley, Sussex

Architect: Edward Welby Pugin Constructed through the generosity of the Dowager Duchess of Leeds between 1865-68; the location was originally known as Bletchingley Farm, and intended for 120 girls. It later became St...

Pages:1234567...14Next »