Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Sydney

15 November 2013

1935 – Department of Railways, 17 York St., Sydney, Australia

Architect: Budden & Mackey Constructed as the administrative home of the New South Wales State Railways. The new headquarters, on York Street above the recently completed Wynyard Station, facing Wynyard Square, opened in...

15 November 2013

1930 – Plaza Theatre, George St., Sydney, Australia

Architect: Eric Heath A heritage listed building designed as a 2000-seat cinema by Eric Heath during a golden age of cinema-going in Australia and was opened on 11 April 1930. In 1977 the...

15 November 2013

1884 – Frazer Memorial Fountain, Sydney, Australia

Architect: Thomas Sapsford Donated to the City of Sydney by the Hon. John Frazer, MLC (1827-84), a merchant, company director and philanthropist. In 1881 Frazer agreed to finance the design and erection of...

14 November 2013

2012 – Museum of Contemporary Art, Sydney, Australia

Architect: Sam Marshall A major $53 million redevelopment of the MCA by Sydney architect Sam Marshall in association with the New South Wales Government Architect’s Office commenced in August 2010. The refurbished building,...

14 November 2013

1930 – BMA House, 137 Macquarie St., Sydney, Australia

Architect: Fowell & McConnel The BMA Building at 12 stories was one of the tallest built in Sydney during the 1920s. Constructed as medical chambers for the New South Wales branch of the...

14 November 2013

1849 – Former Treasury Building, Macquarie St., Sydney, Australia

Architect: Mortimer Lewis & Walter L. Vernon Now subsumed into a large modern hotel complex l, this former government office was built in two stages, beginning with the Treasury (the Bridge St corner)...

14 November 2013

1938 – 99 Macquarie Street, Sydney, Australia

Architect: Budden & Mackey An elegant example of inter-war design by Budden & Mackey, the style is classical with an art deco influence. Constructed as the Department of Motor Transport and Tramways, then...

14 November 2013

1845 – Christ Church St Laurence, Sydney, Australia

The atmospheric interior of Christ Church has developed and changed over the years since consecration in 1845. It remains a work in progress with numerous architects contributing, most notably colonial architect Edmund Blacket...

14 November 2013

1835 – St. Brigid’s Church, The Rocks, Sydney, Australia

Situated in Sydney’s historic Rocks precinct, St Brigid’s is the oldest surviving place of Catholic worship in Australia. Governor Richard Bourke approved the site and building plan in 1833: “for a Roman Catholic...

14 November 2013

1856 – Water Police Court, Sydney, Australia

Architect: Edmund Thomas Blacket Policing Sydney’s harbour was the task of its Water Police. This court house and adjacent police office was built from Bennelong Point sandstone to the design of Colonial Architect...