Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

The Rocks Sydney

10 July 2014

1970s – Proposed Redevelopment of The Rocks, Sydney

Proposed redevelopment of The Rocks area of Sydney in the 1970s. The Rocks is the oldest part of the city and contains many heritage buildings. From November 1971 until 1975, the New South...

21 December 2013

1887 – Harbour Rocks Hotel, 34 Harrington St, The Rocks, Sydney, Australia

Fine colonial building now renovated into fashionable hotel.

20 November 2013

1886 – English, Scottish & Australian Bank, The Rocks, Sydney, Australia

Architect: William Wardell Constructed from sandstone and designed in the Gothic Revival style by prominent architect William Wardell, this a rare Sydney example of the secular use of this type of architecture which...

20 November 2013

1882 – Former Police Station, The Rocks, Sydney, Australia

Architect: James Barnet Beautiful sandstone facade on this well maintained heritage building, and considered to be one of State Architect James Barnet’s best small-scale works. It was one of the two major stations...

18 November 2013

1816 – Cadmans Cottage, The Rocks, Sydney, Australia

Cadmans Cottage is the oldest surviving residential building in Sydney, having been built in 1816 for the use of the governmental coxswains and their crews. Originally constructed on the shoreline, the waterline has...

16 November 2013

1908 – The Observer Hotel, The Rocks, Sydney, Australia

Architect: Halligan & Wilton A pub has stood on this site since 1848. Built in the Federation Free Style Art Nouveau in 1908 by architects Halligan & Wilton, this brick hotel is now...

15 November 2013

1840 – The Garrison Church, The Rocks, Sydney, Australia

Architect: Henry Ginn “The builder was Edward Flood and accepted price for materials is interesting to scan, Bricks were 2/15 a thousand. A labourer worked 10 hours for 5/- a week while the...

14 November 2013

1835 – St. Brigid’s Church, The Rocks, Sydney, Australia

Situated in Sydney’s historic Rocks precinct, St Brigid’s is the oldest surviving place of Catholic worship in Australia. Governor Richard Bourke approved the site and building plan in 1833: “for a Roman Catholic...