Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

universities

08 February 2010

1785 – Examination Hall, Trinity College Dublin

Architect: Sir William Chambers Designed by Sir William Chambers, the Examination Hall faces across the main quadrangle towards the Chapel which he also designed. Also known as the Public Theatre and intended for...

08 February 2010

1760 – Dining Hall, Trinity College Dublin

Architect: Hugh Darley In the 1740s Richard Cassels designed and built a Dining Hall on this site replacing an earlier structure. However on two separate occasions, the vaults collapsed and it was eventually...

08 February 2010

1760 – Provost’s House, Trinity College Dublin

The Provost is the head of Trinity College and accordingly a sumptuous residence was provided. Originally the position was held until death with the next incumbent being elected by the fellows of the...

08 February 2010

1759 – West Front, Trinity College Dublin

Architect: Theodore Jacobsen Until recently it was assumed that two english architects Henry Keene and John Sanderson were responsible for the design of the main west front of Trinity College. However newer evidence...

08 February 2010

1734 – Printing House, Trinity College Dublin

Architect: Richard Cassels This is probably Richard Cassel’s first independent work in Dublin. It is a little building with a doric temple front, but unusual for Cassels in that the columns are true...

08 February 2010

2005 – Mechanical Engineering Building, Trinity College Dublin

Architect: Grafton Architects A further extension to the earlier building by Grafton Architects, completed in 1996, the Mechanical Engineering Building now features a raised podium with an opening around a pre-existing tree. The...

08 February 2010

2007 – Naughton Institute / Crann Building, Trinity College Dublin

Architect: RKD Architects / Wilson Architects Occupying an irregular shaped plot bounded by the elevated railway line, the Naughton Institute contains research labs and a sports centre for the use of students. The...

08 February 2010

1700 – The Rubrics, Trinity College Dublin

The Rubrics are the oldest existing buildings in Trinity College and were built around 1700. Originally part of a quadrangle of similar buildings, this is the sole remaining block and closes the square...

05 February 2010

1864 – Proposed University of Ireland, Clonliffe, Dublin

Architect: J.J. McCarthy A proposal for a Roman Catholic University of Ireland in Clonliffe. First published in the Dublin Builder, 1 April 1863. Plan published in The Builder, August 20 1864.