Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Wales

09 June 2009

1870s – Castell Coch, Cardiff

Architect: William Burges Castell Coch, or in Welsh, the Red Castle is an elaborately decorated Victorian folly designed by Burges for John Crichton-Stuart, 3rd Marquess of Bute and built in the 1870s. However,...

09 June 2009

1870 – Cardiff Castle, Wales

Architect: William Burges A Norman castle but substantially altered and extended during the Victorian period (1860s and 1870s) by John Crichton-Stuart, 3rd Marquess of Bute, and the architect William Burges. Original Norman work...

09 June 2009

1220 – Llandaff Cathedral, Cardiff

The Cathedral Church of SS Peter & Paul, Dyfrig, Teilo and Euddogwy is the mother church of the Diocese of Llandaff and is the seat of the Bishop of Llandaff. The present cathedral...

08 June 2009

2000 – Botanic Gardens of Wales, Llanarthney, Carmarthen

Architect: Foster + Partners This spectacular dome is the largest single span glasshouse in the world, and was designed by Norman Foster and Partners. Poised on the Welsh landscape like a giant raindrop,...

08 June 2009

1826 – Menai Suspension Bridge, Anglesey, Wales

Architect: Thomas Telford Prior to the bridge’s completion in 1826 the island had no connection to the mainland and all movement to and from Anglesey was by ferry. However, the Act of Union...

08 June 2009

1846 – Britannia Bridge, Anglesey, Wales

Architect: Robert Stephenson The increasing popularity of rail travel necessitated a second bridge over the straits to provide a direct rail link between London and the port of Holyhead. The task of building...

08 June 2009

1906 – Alms Houses, The Hendre, Monmouth, Wales

Architect: Aston Webb

08 June 2009

1906 – Parish Church, Buckley, Wales

Architect: Douglas & Minhull

08 June 2009

1906 – Seaview, Swansea, Wales

Architect: Harold Kennard