Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Welland & Gillespie

20 March 2014

1863 – St. Mary’s Church of Ireland, Ballinrobe, Co. Mayo

Architect: Welland & Gillespie The church’s current external and internal appearance owes much to the extensive works undertaken by Welland & Gillespie for the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. It is typical of the early 19th...

01 March 2014

1868 – St Matthias Church of Ireland, Loup, Co. Derry

Architect: Welland & Gillespie The ecclesiastical district of Ballyeglish began in 1866, on land donated by the Salters Company. The building was constructed from white limestone from the nearby Drapers Company estate, relieved...

12 June 2013

1869 – St Mark’s Church of Ireland, Borris-in-Ossory, Co. Laois

Architect: Welland & Gillespie Simple rectangular church with unusual round tower to the south. Photograph courtesy, and copyright of Keith J. Allen.

22 April 2013

1864 – St. Jude’s Church, Inchicore, Dublin

Architect: Welland & Gillespie Constructed between 1862 and 1864 in an Early English gothic style at a cost of £4,000. Demolished in 1988, leaving only the tower and spire. Supposedly the stonework was...

28 November 2012

1865 – Trinity Church and School, Coalisland, Co. Tyrone

Architect: Welland & Gillespie Church for the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, presumed by Welland & Gillespie, and consecrated in 1861. Exterior is brown basalt with sandstone trimming. The adjoining school is now demolished.

28 January 2010

1823 – St Andrew’s Church of Ireland, Lucan, Co. Dublin

A prominently sited church which acts as a landmark in the village. According to Edward McParland, in James Gandon: Vitruvius Hibernicus (1985), St. Andrew’s may have been based on a design by James...

26 January 2010

1795 – Church of Ireland, Rathfarnham, Co. Dublin

The church which dates from 1795 has had two enlargements. The first was in the 1820s when the tower and spire were added. There were some “improvements” by Welland & Gillespie in 1865....

21 January 2010

1813 – St. George’s Church of Ireland, Balbriggan, Co. Dublin

Architect: Welland & Gillespie Detached early Gothic Revival Church of Ireland church, built in 1813, on a T-shaped plan comprising of three-bay nave transversed at third bay by single-bay transepts to east. In...

24 September 2009

1765 – Broughshane Church of Ireland, Co. Antrim

Architect: Welland & Gillespie Pretty little Church with decorative gateway to the street. Broughshane is known as the Garden Village of Ulster. In 1994 the village was the winner of Ulster in Bloom,...