Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Wide Streets Commissioners

09 June 2010

1816 – No.8 Burgh Quay, Dublin

One of the original shopfronts built on the quays by the Wide Streets Commisioners. There are a few similar examples on Burgh Quay flanking the former Corn Exchange building. Also visible on Eden...

10 February 2010

1790 – Westmoreland Street, Dublin

Leading from College Green to O’Connell street and named after John Fane, tenth Earl of Westmoreland and Lord Lieutenant 1790-94. One of the last streets to be laid out by the Wide Streets...

04 February 2010

1829 – Dublin Steam Packet Building, Eden Quay, Dublin

A fine terrace of houses with original Wide Street Commissioner shopfronts at ground level, this building remains in good condition although minus its original glazing pattern. Similar shopfronts can be seen on this...

04 February 2010

1790 – Beresford Place, Dublin

Architect: James Gandon Beresford Place is a short curving terrace of five houses built on an axis with the central dome of the Custom House. The terrace was designed by James Gandon in...

06 June 2009

Byrne, Patrick (1783-1864)

Studied under Henry Aaron Baker at the Dublin Society Schools. Between 1820 and 1846 he worked as a measurer and then an architect with the Wide Streets Commissioners. After Catholic Emancipation allowed church...

05 June 2009

Baker, Henry Aaron (1753-1836)

Originally apprenticed to Thomas Ivory, Baker worked with James Gandon after Ivory’s death. He continued work on the King’s Inns after Gandon resigned from the project. But his most important work was the...

Pages:« Prev12