Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Winnipeg Exchange District

14 August 2011

1901 – Salvation Army Citadel, Rupert St., Winnipeg

Architect: J. Wilson Gray Containing a large hall seating 900, a smaller hall for 250 people, a band room, offices, and officer’s quarters, it was designed not to be as intimidating as the...

14 August 2011

1953 – Northern Sales Building, 135 Lombard Avenue, Winnipeg

Architect: Waisman Ross Considered one of the finest examples of modernist architecture in the city, this brick-and-glass structure incorporates some of the same design elements used in the Barcelona Pavilion. The modernist design...

14 August 2011

1883 – Coronation Block, King St., Winnipeg

Architect: John H. G. Russell The Coronation Block, or more popularly the Shanghai Restaurant, was a two storey structure with graceful curved ends. The building had some fine detailing under the metal cornice....

08 July 2010

1913 – Electric Railway Chambers Building, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architects: Pratt & Ross / Charles S. Frost The Winnipeg Electric Railway Co., a firm which operated the city’s electric streetcar system and its first hydro-electric utility, constructed this steel-frame and concrete building....

08 July 2010

1912 – Lindsay Building, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Woodman & Carey Located at the intersection of three major thoroughfares in downtown Winnipeg, the Lindsay Building is one of a handful of terracotta office towers erected during the city’s pre-World War...

07 May 2010

1911 – 113 Market Avenue Great West Saddlery Building, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: William Wallace Blair From its heavy brick exterior to its masonry base, the building screams solidity. And it is. The structure is concrete with a brick facade. The brickwork has some nice...

28 April 2010

1912 – Confederation Life Building, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: J. Wilson Gray The Confederation Life Building is one of the finest Chicago School style buildings in Winnipeg with its curved facade following the bend in Main Street. The twelve-storey building is...

27 April 2010

1907 – Inland Revenue Building, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: David Ewart The original Customs House in Winnipeg was constructed in 1874 at 198 Main Street. It was decided in 1907 that a larger facility was needed and the proximity of the...

27 April 2010

1906 – Galpern (Porter) Building, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: John H.G. Russell In 1906 James Porter whose firm James Porter and Company previously had been housed in cramped quarters on Main Street, employed John H.G. Russell, one of the city’s best...