Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Winnipeg Exchange District

27 April 2010

1913 – Adelman Building, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: John H.G. Russell Constructed in 1903 as the new Campbell Brothers and Wilson warehouse, the Adelman Building was located on the C.P.R. spur line that still runs behind Princess Street. Three large...

27 April 2010

1903 – Bole Drug Building, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: John H.G. Russell Another fine warehouse by John H.G. Russell, the Bole Drug Building was designed specificially for pharmaceutical production. The various departments, each supervised by qualified chemists, were efficiently organized for...

27 April 2010

1902 – Thomas Scott Memorial Orange Hall, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: James J. McDiarmid In 1901, a Grand Lodge of Canada Report stated that “This Grand Lodge is erecting a memorial hall in the city of Winnipeg in memory of the late Brother...

27 April 2010

1893 – Peck Building, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architects: Charles H. Wheeler / John D. Atchison This warehouse was built in 1893, for clothing manufacterer and importer, John W. Peck. Designed by Charles H. Wheeler, it is located on the corner...

27 April 2010

1892 – Miller Morse Warehouse, Winnipeg, Manitoba

The original three-storey section of this building was erected in 1887 by a hardware wholesaler, Miller, Morse and Company. Capacity was doubled when a building of identical design was added to the north...

27 April 2010

1883 – International Order of Odd Fellows, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architects: Hugh McCowan The Independent Order of Odd Fellows (I.O.O.F.) is a fraternal organization derived from English Odd Fellows orders of the mid-1700s. The Independent Order of Oddfellows constructed this three-storey structure as...

22 April 2010

1922 – Great West Life Building, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: John D. Atchison Erected for one of Western Canada’s largest financial institutions, the Great-West Life Assurance Company which was founded in Winnipeg in 1891, this building is a fine example of the...

22 April 2010

1906 – The Grain Exchange, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architects: Darling & Pearson The center of commerce in The Exchange District, the Grain Exchange Building reflected the growth of Winnipeg at the turn of the century after the growth of the railroads....

22 April 2010

1911 – Hydro Sub Station No.1, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Smith, Kerry & Chace City Light & Power Company, the first public utility in Western Canada, began operation in 1911. From a generating station on the Winnipeg River electricity flowed through this...