Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Winnipeg Exchange District

22 April 2010

1908 – Maltese Cross Building, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: John D. Atchison This Edwardian building has characteristic red clay brick facades with dressed stone on the main floor. Details in the shape of the maltese cross are featured throughout. There is...

21 April 2010

1904 – Codville and Company, Bannatyne Avenue, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Amalgamated into the Ashdown Building in 1911, the former Codville and Company warehouse had two floors added to it so that it formed a continuous wall with the rest of the Ashdown Building....

21 April 2010

1900 – Marshall Wells Building, Bannatyne Avenue, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: James J. McDiarmid A post and beam frame structure with brick and stone external detailing, this small warehouse features exposed woodbeams and brickwork internally. All four floors have windows on three sides...

21 April 2010

1899 – Merrick-Anderson Building, Bannatyne Avenue, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: James J. McDiarmid With the adjoining Bain Building, this brick and limestone building is a fine early Winnipeg warehouse. Merrick, and Anderson were originally travellers for Dennis Moore of Hamilton. With the...

21 April 2010

1899 – Bain Building, Bannatyne Avenue, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: James J. McDiarmid The west portion of the Brokerage was constructed in 1899 for Edward Nicholson, an Ottawa-born merchant who started a wholesale grocery brokerage firm. In 1905, he made a partner...

21 April 2010

1899 – No. 189 Bannatyne (McClary Building), Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: S. Frank Peters Like other warehouses on Bannatyne Avenue, the McClary Building benefited from a railway spur to the rear in what is now John Hirsch Place. Much like other Peters designs,...

21 April 2010

1911 – Ashdown Warehouse, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: S. Frank Peters The English-born James H. Ashdown was probably Winnipeg’s best-known businessman and he first arrived in the Red River settlement via Ontario in 1868. He purchased a tinsmith shop in...

21 April 2010

1900 – Gault Building, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: George Browne A fine large brick faced warehouse that was originally built as a four storey over basement building. It was applauded as one of the most commodious warehouses in the City....

21 April 2010

1911 – Whitla Building, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architects: James H. Cadham / John H.G. Russell 70 Arthur was completed in 1899, by Cadham who also made a major addition in 1906. John H. G. Russell made another major addition in...