Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Winnipeg

22 April 2010

1959 – Hydro Sub-Station No. 21, Edmonton Street, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Libling Michener & Associates Striking utility building from a time when public utilities still put an effort into their buildings. Winnipeg’s industrial parks have many such buildings with the concrete structure expressed...

21 April 2010

1973 – Woodsworth Building, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Smith Carter Office building constructed to provide more office accommodation for the Law Courts. While not the worst-looking building in Winnipeg, it does itself no favours by the matter of its connection...

21 April 2010

1916 – Provincial Law Courts, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architects: Samuel Hooper / Victor W. Horwood / John D. Atchison Situated across Broadway from the Manitoba Legislature building, the Law Courts consists of several buildings. The original architect was Samuel Hooper, who...

21 April 2010

1913 – Fort Garry Hotel, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Ross & MacFarlane Built between 1911 and 1913, the Fort Garry Hotel was designed by George A. Ross and David H. MacFarlane in a French chateau style used by the vast railway...

21 April 2010

1905 – Manitoba Club, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: S. Frank Peters A fine large brick building designed to house a gentleman’s club in the early 20th century. The interior is opulent and well preserved. The site was chosen because at...

21 April 2010

1903 – Land Titles Building, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Samuel Hooper A small free-standing office building on a domestic scale alongside the Law Courts buildings on Broadway.

21 April 2010

1899 – Isbister School, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architects: Samuel Hooper Isbister School, one of the first three-storey school buildings in Winnipeg is the oldest public school building in Winnipeg. Designed by Samuel Hooper before he became Provincial Architect in 1904,...

21 April 2010

1960 – 400 Colony Street, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Originally built by the Salvation Army, this building now forms part of the University of Winnipeg campus housing the Department of Theatre and Film.

21 April 2010

1895 – Dalnavert House, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Charles H. Wheeler Designated a National Historic Site, this fine Victorian era house is considered one of the best examples in western Canada. It was built in 1895 for Sir Hugh John...

21 April 2010

1904 – Codville and Company, Bannatyne Avenue, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Amalgamated into the Ashdown Building in 1911, the former Codville and Company warehouse had two floors added to it so that it formed a continuous wall with the rest of the Ashdown Building....