Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Winnipeg

22 April 2010

1884 – Holy Trinity Anglican Church, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Charles H. Wheeler The third church on this site, the present church was commenced in 1883 and completed in 1884. The architect, Charles H. Wheeler, also designed Dalnavert, the Winnipeg home of...

22 April 2010

1976 – Credit Union Plaza, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Smith Carter Black tinted glass renders this triangular office block impassive-looking, a dark stern object on the skyline. Using only half the available site allowed the architects to create a small public...

22 April 2010

1964 – Multistorey Carpark, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Libling Michener & Associates Optimistic modernism for a multistorey carpark nestled in behind older buildings. This is a boldly extravagent statement for a relatively mundane structure type.

22 April 2010

1911 – Garry Block, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Pratt & Ross Fine heritage building that is obviously well cared for. Originally built for the Mortgage Company of Canada, as the Belgica Block. Like many Winnipeg buildings, the main design effort...

22 April 2010

1909 – Canada Permanent Building, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: John D. Atchison This red sandstone building was for many years the home of the Canada Permanent Trust Company. Built in 1909, the ground floor contained offices and banking facilities with additional...

22 April 2010

1908 – Inglis Block, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architects: John D. Atchison / Herbert B. Rugh The North West Commercial Travellers’ Association Building or Inglis Building has it has reverted to, is an excellent example of Chicago Style with its ornate...

22 April 2010

1959 – Hydro Sub-Station No. 21, Edmonton Street, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Libling Michener & Associates Striking utility building from a time when public utilities still put an effort into their buildings. Winnipeg’s industrial parks have many such buildings with the concrete structure expressed...

21 April 2010

1973 – Woodsworth Building, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Smith Carter Office building constructed to provide more office accommodation for the Law Courts. While not the worst-looking building in Winnipeg, it does itself no favours by the matter of its connection...

21 April 2010

1916 – Provincial Law Courts, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architects: Samuel Hooper / Victor W. Horwood / John D. Atchison Situated across Broadway from the Manitoba Legislature building, the Law Courts consists of several buildings. The original architect was Samuel Hooper, who...