Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Winnipeg

21 April 2010

1899 – Bain Building, Bannatyne Avenue, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: James J. McDiarmid The west portion of the Brokerage was constructed in 1899 for Edward Nicholson, an Ottawa-born merchant who started a wholesale grocery brokerage firm. In 1905, he made a partner...

21 April 2010

1899 – No. 189 Bannatyne (McClary Building), Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: S. Frank Peters Like other warehouses on Bannatyne Avenue, the McClary Building benefited from a railway spur to the rear in what is now John Hirsch Place. Much like other Peters designs,...

21 April 2010

1911 – Ashdown Warehouse, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: S. Frank Peters The English-born James H. Ashdown was probably Winnipeg’s best-known businessman and he first arrived in the Red River settlement via Ontario in 1868. He purchased a tinsmith shop in...

21 April 2010

1900 – Gault Building, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: George Browne A fine large brick faced warehouse that was originally built as a four storey over basement building. It was applauded as one of the most commodious warehouses in the City....

21 April 2010

1911 – Whitla Building, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architects: James H. Cadham / John H.G. Russell 70 Arthur was completed in 1899, by Cadham who also made a major addition in 1906. John H. G. Russell made another major addition in...

21 April 2010

1884 – Telegram Building, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architects: William Hodgson This building was constructed for R.J. Whitla & Co., dry goods wholesaler and internally features pre-fabricated cast iron columns. Whitla & Co. constructed a larger warehouse on McDermot Avenue in...

21 April 2010

1912 – 321 McDermot Avenue, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: George W. Northwood The building, also known as the Finnie and Murray Block, on the northwest corner of McDermot Avenue and Adelaide Street, marked the first incursion of the warehouse district west...

15 April 2010

1968 – Cathédrale de Saint-Boniface, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architects: Étienne Gaboury These are the fourth and fifth churches built on this site since 1818. The fourth church or cathedral was built in 1908 and destroyed by fire in 1968. The interior...

15 April 2010

1922 – Holy Cross Church, Dubuc Street, Winnipeg

Holy Cross Parish is the oldest English-speaking parish in the St. Boniface Archdiocese, established in 1922. Prior to the founding, many English-speaking Catholic families had taken up residence in the french-speaking city of...