Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Winnipeg

31 July 2012

1903 – Carlton School, Graham Avenue, Winnipeg

Architect: J.B. Mitchell Built to replace the earlier South Central Schools designed by Barber & Barber. Only used for twentyseven years before it was bought by Eatons, demolished for expansion of a parking...

31 July 2012

1966 – Manitoba Teachers Society, 191 Harcourt Street, Winnipeg

Architect: Libling Michener & Associates Constructed in two stages, the original McMaster House (to the west) and Bradley Square, but stylistically so similar that they now appear a singular building. An atrium entrance...

30 July 2012

1963 – Civic Centre, St. Boniface, Winnipeg

Architect: Étienne Gaboury Designed to contain a police station, law courts, and a public health centre, this cluster of buildings is sited around an open sided courtyard adjacent to the former city hall....

30 July 2012

1959 – Executive House, Wellington Crescent, Winnipeg

Architect: Libling Michener & Associates Designed as n upmarket apartment block, Executive House was highly thought of at the time of completion and won a Massey Silver Medal for Architecture. The Massey Medals...

30 July 2012

1961 – Grosvenor House, Winnipeg

Architect: Libling Michener & Associates This apartment building was originally designed as cast-in-place concrete. But with the City of Winnipeg just accepting prestressed concrete at the time of construction, an alternate design was...

26 July 2012

1883 – Design for Holy Trinity Church, Winnipeg

Architect: Charles H. Wheeler Although most of the church was built as designed by Wheeler, the magnificent tower and spire was never constructed.

26 July 2012

1929 – Proposal for Richardson Building, Winnipeg

Architect: Arthur A. Stoughton Unbuilt proposal for landmark tower at Portage and Main in downtown Winnipeg. The building, at 17 storeys, would have been the tallest structure in Winnipeg. Buildings onsite were cleared...

23 July 2012

1906 – Central Normal School, William St., Winnipeg

Architect: Samuel Hooper The former Central Normal School served as the headquarters for teacher training for more than forty years, and was the key institution for formulating educational philosophy and curriculum. Designed by...

23 July 2012

1905 – Former Carnegie Library, William St., Winnipeg

Architect: Samuel Hooper The Carnegie Public Library was officially opened on October 11th, 1905 by Governor General Earl Grey and functioned as Winnipeg’s central library until the completion of the Centennial Library in...