Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Winnipeg

14 April 2010

1855 – Old St. James Anglican Church, Winnipeg, Manitoba

In 1850, Reverend W.H. Taylor was instructed by the Bishop of Rupert’s Land, The Right Reverend David Anderson, to establish a church for the settlement expanding westward along the banks of the Assiniboine...

14 April 2010

1912 – Firehall No.11, Berry Street, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architects: Alexander & William Melville In 1903 the firm of A. and W. Melville, architects and civil engineers, began operation. This company was responsible for numerous buildings in and around the city. An...

14 April 2010

1916 – First Church of Christ, Scientist, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architects: Jordan & Over Designed in the shape of a Greek cross, the building was built in two stages. The first level was completed in 1911, with the much larger second floor added...

14 April 2010

1909 – Ecole La Verendrye, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: J.B. Mitchell One of Winnipeg’s grand schools from the city’s boomtown era is La Verendrye School. Though residential and business areas quickly grew up around it, when it opened in 1909, La...

14 April 2010

1910 – No. 393 Wellington Crescent, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architects: William Wallace Blair This large stone and stucco building with the half-timbering over the upper levels, was the last home of Mark Fortune. Built in 1910, it was his residence for two...

14 April 2010

1913 – Ashdown House, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: John H.G. Russell The merchant and businessman James H. Ashdown built his residence at number 529 on the Crescent, near Academy Road. The architect on this project was the prominent Winnipeg architect,...

14 April 2010

1940 – Rockwood School, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Built to a standardised design used by the city, and not far from a similar design at Brock-Corydon School. The building has a central entrance-way with further entrances to the ends of the...

14 April 2010

1963 – Holy Family Church, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Zunic & Sobkowich

14 April 2010

1958 – St George’s Anglican Church, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Green, Blankstein, Russell Associates Built between 1956-58 to to replace an earlier church of 1927, this modern building is constructed of the local Tyndall stone and brick. To the left of the...