Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Winnipeg

14 April 2010

1922 – Grosvenor School, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Col. J.N. Semmons In 1922, the Winnipeg School Division built four new schools. They included Daniel McIntyre Collegiate, Faraday School, and David Livingstone. The only one built in the South District was...

14 April 2010

1911 – Firehall No. 12, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architects: Alexander & William Melville Alexander Melville was born in Fraserburgh, Scotland in 1873 and received his architectural and civil engineering degrees in Aberdeen. In 1903 he settled in Winnipeg and immediately set...

14 April 2010

2007 – Office Building, Corydon Avenue, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architects: Stechesen Katz Modern office development with commercial unit to streetlevel, this is a cleanly designed building with some sharp detailing. While the curved facades catch the eye, the facade to Harrow Street...

14 April 2010

1934 – Former Bank of Toronto, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Northwood & Chivers Former branch office of the Bank of Toronto, this small building is now in use as offices. Its main architectural feature is the incised lettering above the main entrance.

14 April 2010

1931 – Uptown Bowling Lanes, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Max Blankstein Opened on 24 Dec 1931, the interior of the theatre was gutted in 1960 and was turned into a bowling alley which it still functions as today. The Uptown was...

14 April 2010

1911 – St Ignatius Roman Catholic Church, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architects: H.J. Rill / Northwood & Chivers Completed in 1911 by H.J. Rill, with further work by Northwood & Chivers in 1928. St. Ignatius has a fine interior with small aisles but no...

13 April 2010

1909 – Trinity Baptist Church, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: George Teeter Interesting little church with a very unusual corner tower. The stonework has a vaguely Scottish Baronial feel but the red tiled cupola instead of a spire is unusual and endearing.

13 April 2010

1910 – Fort Rouge United Church, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architects: John H. G. Russell Originally built as a Presbyterian Church, this large brick building is quite clumsy in design. With the exception of the two towers, the detailing is quite large in...

13 April 2010

1912 – Firehall No.15, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architects: Alexander Melville Alexander Melville was born in Fraserburgh, Scotland in 1873 and received his architectural and civil engineering degrees in Aberdeen. In 1903 he settled in Winnipeg and immediately set up a...