Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Winnipeg

26 July 2012

1929 – Proposal for Richardson Building, Winnipeg

Architect: Arthur A. Stoughton Unbuilt proposal for landmark tower at Portage and Main in downtown Winnipeg. The building, at 17 storeys, would have been the tallest structure in Winnipeg. Buildings onsite were cleared...

23 July 2012

1906 – Central Normal School, William St., Winnipeg

Architect: Samuel Hooper The former Central Normal School served as the headquarters for teacher training for more than forty years, and was the key institution for formulating educational philosophy and curriculum. Designed by...

23 July 2012

1905 – Former Carnegie Library, William St., Winnipeg

Architect: Samuel Hooper The Carnegie Public Library was officially opened on October 11th, 1905 by Governor General Earl Grey and functioned as Winnipeg’s central library until the completion of the Centennial Library in...

23 July 2012

1912 – Former St. Joseph’s Academy, St. Boniface, Winnipeg

Architect: Joseph-Azarie Sénécal Former convent and school run by the Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary. Operated as a school for girls until the late 1960s. In 1936, it was...

23 July 2012

1906 – École Provencher, St. Boniface, Winnipeg

In 1906, the School Board constructed a school at the site where École Provencher stands today. It was a three-storey brick and limestone building, featuring an entry tower surmounted with an elegant ogee...

22 July 2012

1883 – Leland Hotel, Winnipeg

Architect: Barber & Barber Once one of Winnipeg’s most luxurious hotels, featuring 100 rooms, hot and cold running water, a billiard room, barber shop, and reading rooms. Four storeys added in 1892 were...

22 July 2012

1881 – Université de Saint-Boniface, Winnipeg

Architect: Balston C. Kenway Located on the site of what is now Provencher Park in St. Boniface. In 1922, a major fire completely destroyed the building claiming ten victims and destroying all of...

21 July 2012

1903 – Alexandra School, Edmonton Street, Winnipeg

Architect: J.B. Mitchell Designed by local architect J.B. Mitchell who was responsible for many of the best school designs in Winnipeg. Originally a two-storey building, the third floor was added when enrolment justified...

21 July 2012

1903 – St. Mary’s Academy, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Samuel Hooper The third location of the school, as it moved to its present location in 1903. At that time, the school sat out on the prairie in an undeveloped area. However,...

21 July 2012

1923 – Medical Arts Building, Graham Ave., Winnipeg

Architect: John D. Atchison Demolished in early 1970s to provide carparking space for newly constructed Medical Arts Building to the rear.