Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Winnipeg

20 July 2012

1911 – Former Assiniboia Town Hall, Winnipeg

Formerly the municipal hall of the Rural Municipality of Assiniboia, before it amalgamated with Brooklands, and St. James to form St. James-Assiniboia and eventually forming part of Winnipeg in the 1972 unicity amalgamation....

20 July 2012

1898 – McIntyre block, Main St., Winnipeg

Architect: Cadham & Grayson Designed by the architectural firm of Cadham and Grayson to replace a building of 1892 destroyed by fire. The original main building was only five stories in height, with...

19 July 2012

1912 – Free Exposition Building, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: John D. Atchison Developed as the Hall of Industry for the Winnipeg Industrial Bureau. Taken over by the Board of Trade in 1918, and demolished in 1935 to make way for a...

14 July 2012

1909 – Child’s Building, Portage Avenue, Winnipeg

Architect: John H. G. Russell Previously known as the McArthur Building. Demolished in the early 1980s to make way for a skyscraper development.

14 July 2012

1902 – Merchants Bank, Main Street, Winnipeg

Architect: Taylor & Gordon Winnipeg’s first steel framed building at seven storeys high. Merchants Bank of Canada was taken over by the Bank of Montreal in the early 1920s. Demolished to make way...

14 July 2012

1899 – Dominion Bank, 440 Main Street, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Darling & Pearson Beautiful turned corner with banking hall. Located at 440 Main Street, and demolished in 1966. Now an empty site.

14 July 2012

1907 – Nanton Building, Portage Avenue, Winnipeg

Architect: Darling & Pearson Demolished.

11 July 2012

1898 – Victoria School, Winnipeg

In 1898, Central School No.1 was replaced by a new structure, built at a cost of $17,000, that could accommodate up to 500 students with a staff of 12 teachers. At that time,...

04 July 2012

1905 – Empire Hotel, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Alexander & William Melville Originally conceived as the Cauchon Block, and then converted into an upmarket hotel in 1905 by architects Alexander & William Melville for the railway traveller. Ultimately the Empire...