Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Winnipeg

04 July 2012

1906 – Royal Alexandra Hotel, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: E. & W.S. Maxwell The 18th and most luxurious of the Canadian Pacific Railway’s hotels, the Royal Alex closed in 1967 and was demolished in 1971. For many years, its ornate interior...

04 July 2012

1913 – Unbuilt Design for City Hall, Winnipeg

Architect: Clemesha & Portnall In early 1913, a committee of Winnipeg’s City Planning Commission recommended that a new civic centre be built, and a contest for a design for a new city hall...

04 July 2012

1899 – Canadian Bank of Commerce, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Darling & Pearson Dismantled stone by stone in 1910 and re-erected in Regina, Saskatchewan. A replacement bank building, even more grandiose was designed and built by Darling & Pearson.

04 July 2012

1922 – Medical College, 770 Bannatyne Avenue, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: The second medical college to be constructed in Winnipeg. The Manitoba Medical College, incorporated in April 1884 as the first such school west of the Great Lakes, was reorganized in 1919 as...

04 July 2012

1883 – St. John’s College, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Barber & Barber Anglican college founded in 1850, and re-established in 1866. Later affiliated with the University of Manitoba. In 1877 St John’s College, St Boniface College (Roman Catholic) and the Manitoba...

04 July 2012

1909 – Pavilion, Assiniboine Park, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: John D. Atchison The tower housed a 16,000 gallon water tank that was visible throughout the park. Built at a cost of $19,000, the pavilion housed dining and dance halls featured loggias...

04 July 2012

1882 – Manitoba College, Winnipeg

Architect: Barber & Barber Originally built as a Methodist College, until the the buildings were purchased by the Jesuits in 1930 for St. Paul’s College. It remained in use until 1964. Demolished. Quite...

04 July 2012

1901 – Former YMCA, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: George Creeford Browne Former YMCA building that was later heavily remodeled to become the Birks Building. Used as a branch of the YMCA from 1901 until 1913 when their new downtown building...

04 July 2012

1881 – Hudson’s Bay Company, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Balston C. Kenway Built at Main & York, to replace an earlier store of 1874 further south on Main Street, which was constructed of stone from Upper Fort Garry. This building was...