Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Winnipeg

14 August 2011

1901 – Salvation Army Citadel, Rupert St., Winnipeg

Architect: J. Wilson Gray Containing a large hall seating 900, a smaller hall for 250 people, a band room, offices, and officer’s quarters, it was designed not to be as intimidating as the...

14 August 2011

1953 – Northern Sales Building, 135 Lombard Avenue, Winnipeg

Architect: Waisman Ross Considered one of the finest examples of modernist architecture in the city, this brick-and-glass structure incorporates some of the same design elements used in the Barcelona Pavilion. The modernist design...

14 August 2011

1883 – Coronation Block, King St., Winnipeg

Architect: John H. G. Russell The Coronation Block, or more popularly the Shanghai Restaurant, was a two storey structure with graceful curved ends. The building had some fine detailing under the metal cornice....

07 August 2011

1906 – Canadian Bank of Commerce building, Elmwood, Winnipeg

Architect: Darling & Pearson Fine former bank branch by Darling & Pearson for the Canadian Bank of Commerce. They produced many branches for the bank across Canada, and quite a few buildings around...

01 August 2011

1906 – Former Manitoba Agricultural College, Tuxedo, Winnipeg

Architect: Samuel Hooper Following the establishment of the Manitoba Agricultural College in 1903-04, two river lots south of the Assiniboine River and west of Winnipeg were selected. The college officially opened in 1906,...

30 July 2011

1911 – Orpheum Theatre, 283 Fort Street, Winnipeg

Architect: John D. Atchison / Kirchhoff & Rose The Orpheum Theatre, was one of the chain of Orpheum Theatres across Canada and the United States. It opened on 13 March 1911, and the...

30 July 2011

1947 – River Heights School, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Built to a fairly standard design used throughout the 1940s and early 1950s in Winnipeg, River Heights School is an example of the larger variant of the design. A sprawling single storey building,...

24 July 2011

1942 – Canadian National Building, Winnipeg

Telecommunications building constructed by Canadian National Railways. Due to the importance of the services contained within, it was designed to the highest standards. Of fireproof construction, it was made of solid reinforced concrete...

04 July 2011

1912 – Kelvin Technical & High School, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: J.B. Mitchell Founded in 1912 as Kelvin Technical High School, the name was later changed to Kelvin High School. Built of Tyndall stone and Estevan red brick between 1910 and 1912. The...