Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Yorkshire

10 May 2013

1920 – Unbuilt War Memorial, Bridlington, Yorkshire

Architect: P.M. Andrews & H.G. Blackford Following the end of the war in 1918, plans were made to commemorate the Bridlington’s fallen with a suitable memorial. A £100 first prize was offered for...

01 May 2013

1920 – Designs for Sheffield War Memorial Halls, Yorkshire

Architect: E. Vincent Harris An Architectural competition was held in 1920 to design a new muncipal building including a concert hall venue – and was won by E. Vincent Harris. Construction was delayed...

01 May 2013

1874 – Commercial Buildings, Park Row, Leeds, Yorkshire

Architect: George Corson Published in The Building News, July 10 1874: “This building has been lately erected for Mr. Archibald Kamsden, for the purposes indicated above. The offices of the Royal Insurance Company...

01 May 2013

1872 – Villa, Brough, Yorkshire

Architect: J. King James Published in The Building News, December 6 1872: “THE material used is concrete, worked with Drake’s patent wrought-iron apparatus. The proportions of gravel and concrete for the foundations (which...

28 February 2013

1871 – Selected design for Leeds Infirmary, Yorkshire

Architect: Henry Walker The Infirmary was built in 1874 alongside the Leeds Union Workhouse. In 1915 both workhouse and infirmary were taken over as the East Leeds War Hospital; in 1925 it became...

26 February 2013

1884 – Pawson Brailsford Building, No.1 High Street, Sheffield, Yorkshire

Architect: Hadfield & Son Pawson Brailsford were a Sheffield-based publisher. Their main activity as publishers were the trade catalogues they produced for Sheffield manufacturers, especially for cutlery, tools and general engineering products. They...

26 February 2013

1863 – Design for new Infirmary, Leeds, Yorkshire

Architect: George Gilbert Scott Construction of the current hospital on its new site in Great George Street started in 1863 to the designs of Sir George Gilbert Scott. Before drawing up the plans...

31 January 2013

1868 – Mechanic’s Institute, Leeds, Yorkshire

Architect: Cuthbert Brodrick Constructed as a lecture hall, and location for study, the Institute was later used as a concert hall, and has now been converted for use as Leeds Museum. The main...

31 January 2013

1861 – Volunteer Drill Hall, Bradford, Yorkshire

Architect: Andrews & Delaunay From The Building News: “THE accompanying is a view of the drill-room about to be built for the Sth West York Rifle Volunteers at Bradford, on land leased to...