1878 – Magdalen Asylum & Laundry, Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin
The buildings are now part of St. Michael’s Hospital but were constructed as one of the infamous Magdalen Laundries.
“The institution has been in existence in Glasthule for many years, but owing to circumstances it has been decided to remove it to a more central position. The building will be 236 feet long, and about 40 feet deep. It will contain reception parlour, refectory, oratory, infirmary, dormitories, bathroom &c. The laundry occupies the principal floor, and will be fitted up with every modern appliance and requirement for a steam laundry. The institution is in charge of the Sisters of Mercy, who have initiated a bazaar to defray the cost of its erection. Messrs. Meade and Son are the contractors. The plans have been prepared by Mr. John L. Robinson, architect and C.E.” The Irish Builder, June 1 1878