1860 – AXA Insurance, Drogheda, Co. Louth
The former bank , constructed for the Belfast Banking Co., is built of limestone ashlar with an elaborate façade at street-level. The ground floor façade has paired polished granite columns with lush foliage capitals. Above this is an architrave and frieze for bank signage. The upper storeys are no less elaborate; the first floor windows are round-headed with fluted keystones with shells. The second floor windows also receive a sculptural treatment. The entire façade is topped of with a Lombardo-Romanesque cornice and fluted brackets. A fine building that stands out from its neighbours.
The Belfast Banking Company sold its branches in the Republic of Ireland to The Royal Bak of Ireland in 1923.