1879 – Gateway, Impington Hall, Cambridgeshire
The building of Impington Hall was begun by John Pepys in 1579, and the Pepys family remained there until 1805. The Hall was not completed at the time of John Pepys death, but he left instructions concerning the exact way in which the work was to be completed.
According to The Building News, June 14 1878: “This gateway will form the principal to the park and hall with a porter lodge, turret staircases to residences for gardeners on the upper floors which consist of living rooms larders bedrooms and other accommodation. Bricks form the principal features in construction made of special small dimensions dressings strings and windows of Ancaster stone.”