1857 – Balliol College Chapel, Oxford, Oxfordshire
The existing Chapel is the third on the site. The first was under construction in 1328, with the second Chape built about 1525. It was pulled down in 1856 to make way for this chapel by William Butterfield was the architect for the present building. His design has been much attacked, and there was a serious offer to pay for demolition and reconstruction in 1912 which the College rejected as a waste of money.
Inside, most of Butterfield’s furnishings and decorations have been replaced, and the most interesting features are either recent or survivals from the Chapel he demolished. The memorial tablets are mostly post-1860 and do not commemorate actual burials. Perspective View of east end of chapel published in The Building News.