1866 – Chapel, Convent of Mercy, Clonakilty, Co. Cork

Architect: Pugin & Ashlin


The chapel was designed in a Romanesque style to blend in with the existing convent buildings – a departure from their usual polished Gothic. Internally there are stained glass windows by Earley & Powell, and in 1872 a new altar by George C. Ashlin was added. The convent closed in 2007. Illustration published in The Dublin Builder, July 1 1866.

“It is attached to the convent, and, as will be seen, a Lombardic style of treatment has been adopted by the architects, Pugin and Ashlin, as being in more harmony with the existing building. The contractor is Mr. P. Scannell of Cork.”