1838 – Carlow County Infirmary, Carlow
Designed by architect John B. Keane in 1838 in the Jacobean style. Funded by voluntary subscription, local landlords the Browne-Clayton family, furnished the hospital with beds, cooking equipment and furniture and supported the running of it for many years. Spread over two floors – surgery, post operative wards for males and females, Matron’s quarters, kitchen and larder and the ‘Dead House’ were on the ground floor. The upper floor contained three male wards, two female wards and a nurses ward. Closed in the 1970s and since demolished.